Forbidden Food

Monday, August 25, 2014

Weavies and Parts



We don’t have much green-space where we live, just a tad, but there will still be canine exercise and there will still be funky weave entrance fun; can be one in the same.

My agility instructor, Merinda, said early on that I didn’t know how lucky I was that Layla had great weave entrances (she also once told me in class that Layla had pulled off a jump after getting confused by my on-time cue; I cannot dispute that observation). 

I did have to survive a short spell last spring when even the weaves turned up some deficits.  Layla would do ten then, TUNNEL; or eleven then, JUMP.  Those were times that needed help.  I got off my cheap rear, planned my usual Lowe's/Home Depot fix, and added 6 electric fence poles to the real 6 weave set that I already had; admitting even art needs maintenance.  

Then we put weave games into the rotation of our small scale practice.  After a while we got this game going where I send Layla through the weaves while I just stand there with a ball in my hand.  Saves wear and tear on my shoes and gets her to not worry about where her slow human is.  Just at the exit, I toss the almighty Chuck-it ball (preferably a "Whistler"); her toy from heaven, and happiness ensues.  I’d never do that in a trial (no ball, too much excitement) but it keeps her honest on doing all 12.  Ten or eleven doesn't play ball.  I am hoping for her to maintain a doggie memory of finishing the twelfth weave and seeing a blue, rubber ball flying straight at her head.  It’s what dreams are made of; doggie and human.



No comments:

Post a Comment