Forbidden Food

Friday, August 29, 2014

Just Belly-aching



Two days before a trial, a big one since it is local and I know a lot of the participants; (which is scary since we run better under the veil of anonymity); DISASTER!  Well, not total disaster, Layla’s in good shape and my legs and arms are working fine, but my belly has been attacked by a stomach bug.  Fortunately this one doesn’t make it likely that I will foul the course (I know it’s an NQ if a dog barfs on the course, but what about the handler?  I’m not sure the AKC has addressed that?).  However, after an aching stomach for 3 days and finally a REALLY aching stomach with weakness and chills, I’m still not 100%.

I took off work yesterday to lie flat and consume massive probiotics, liquids, and a glorious meal of white rice (bland rocks right now).  My little, furry nurse applied toe licking and bed cuddling, which are wonderful, holistic therapies she instinctively developed on her own.  I can now walk around without chilling and hurting so much.  But I’m worried about feeling a bit weak, and I know that my much-loved, big, soft pretzels will be off the trial agenda at least for tomorrow.
I missed agility class last night too, and it was the night the new dogwalk appeared, according to the Best Friends listserv buzz.  No use belly-aching about it.

I am going to drink a big cup of my chamomile and green tea combo, which seems to help too.  Chamomile for the soothing stomach effect, and green tea so the chamomile doesn’t cause my head to smash onto my keyboard.

I’m really excited about running my little girlfriend tomorrow, even if I fall flat at the end of all three runs.  A handler passing out after a run surly isn’t an NQ, even if it’s aggravating.  Enjoying that time with my spectacular little buddy is what it’s about, but maybe someone might have some smelling salts handy?  Anybody?


1 comment: