Forbidden Food

Monday, September 8, 2014

Improving Contacts and the Collapse of Space-Time in the Universe

I can see it now; me and Layla are going for our Excellent Standard title, she's been across the dog walk and up and down the a-frame with beautiful running contacts.  There is only one jump to go as she slides through the weave poles like a breeze through autumn leaves.  She's hurtling toward that last jump, leaps into the air, high above the 16" bar and .......

Some dumb-butt flips the switch on the Hadron Collider at Cern; and Stephen Hawking's worst nightmare proves correct:  Space-time collapses throughout the universe.  My guess is that this would cause an NQ.

Fortunately, Dr. Hawking prefaces this really bad day possibility with the disclaimer that it is very unlikely to actually happen.  Which was what I could say about Layla hitting her dog walk contact on the last day of the trial we ran a few weeks ago.

Of course I know a fix to try for THAT, eBAY.

I have to do "minimalist" agility; and I choose to do it cheap (as much as possible).  Fortunately, there is a lady who makes small training dog walks and sells them on eBAY, see little dog walk here.

I already have a mini-travel-teeter, as I've mentioned before, and it has been a great help in getting Layla past severe tetter-phobia.  If we had room, you can bet I would abandon cheap though, I'd be flirting hard with my credit card limit on agility obstacles, potentially to the point of needing financial counseling to avoid drooling on my keyboard as I order one more wing-jump fix.  But the minimalist agility world is where I live, and where I make the best adjustments to our game that I can.

I suspect that like the teeter, and the way Layla learned her kickin' weaves, we will see improvement from the scaled down approach.  When you think about it, the whole course isn't what a team usually screws up on, but a sequence, obstacle, contact, signal, or command (or two; or one and a tunnel suck).  I don't figure I need a three imbedded course set up for working on corrections, or we wouldn't have made it this far anyway.  I'm fortunate to have two agility classes to attend and get full courses and new, horrific, sequences to blow up on.  We will just do what we do and see how it works out, we haven't totally stunk up any trials lately so I see a lot of hope.

But that space-time crash would still probably suck.  Stephen Hawking on the possible Collapse of Space-Time  I've got no clue what it would do to run times.

No comments:

Post a Comment